#TalkNerdyToMeLover’s Ajay Chauhan
All of us go through personal victories and tragedies. The difference is in how we perceive these experiences. One can downplay the positives and dwell on the negatives. This will make life hell. On the other hand, you can have a beautiful life if we have a sense of gratitude for all the little positives that are manifested in our life.
Some of us may be going through a period of separation from a partner or spouse. The newly single status and its associated loneliness may seem cruel and empty. People may seem vicious and evil.
At this stage, one must remember that this stage will definitely pass. No situation is permanent, and if you have lost one relationship, there are several more relationships waiting for you in the future.
Meanwhile, you need to cultivate the habit of gratitude. Even if you have lost a husband, there is plenty of love in your life: From a close friend to a friendly neighbor to a sensitive colleague at work. If you contribute to charitable causes, you have the love of its recipients to boot.
How can a habit of gratitude be cultivated?
• Use your senses: Many sensory experiences are taken for granted. Learn to appreciate life with heightened awareness: Beautiful sights of trees and flowers around you, different smells, and different tastes of food items and different feel of fabrics. Appreciate music, as well as, the different sounds of silence.
• Do some spring cleaning: Whichever month it is, it is good to gather up the mops and vacuum cleaner to clean up your home. Not only does the newly cleaned room re-invigorate you, but you may stumble upon old photos and trinkets that remind you of happy times.
• Learn to relax: It is difficult to have a grateful attitude if you are anxious or angry. Try to resolve all issues that disturb your mind so that it can be relaxed and happy.
• Live in the present: Do not lose the joy of today being entangled with the past and the future. Dwelling on the past and the future makes you miss the wonderful things in the present. Enjoy the experiences of today and do not delay it for tomorrow.
• Take vacation: It is good to pack up your bags and set upon a vacation far away from the hustle and bustle of your life. A small picnic in a park nearby will also do, if it can help you unwind. You need to separate yourself from someone or something to truly appreciate their value.
• Maintain a gratitude journal: Keep a written record of all the things you are grateful for. By re-evaluating your experiences and sifting the positives, you can reinforce the habit of gratitude. You can read this journal every time you are feeling low, and it will perk up your spirits.
• Create your own ceremony of gratitude: Light a few candles, meditate or enjoy a pampering bubble bath where you can collect all your positive energy.
• Take things lightheartedly: Look at the lemons handed down in your life with a pinch of humor. Learn to laugh more, love more and be thankful for every laugh and every feeling of love in your life.
• Inspirational material: Read Inspiring books, as well as, inspirational quotes in order to be thankful for the good things in life.
• Dollops of kindness: Allow yourself to perform random actions of kindness. Gift a bag of grocery to a homeless man. Volunteer as a neighborhood watch member. All these kind acts are a perfect way to express gratitude to God.
• Family time: Take out time from your daily life to spend with family and friends and your life will be blessed with unconditional love and joy.
These are some of the tips on how to develop the habit of gratitude in one’s life.
Author: The author Ajay Chauhan is presently associated with Love Wale. All articles are published on behalf of LoveWale.