- Climbing a mountain – Actually I climbed 5, and it taught me I can do anything
- Getting my license – It introduced me to a whole new level of freedom
- Getting laid for the first time – seriously, does this need any explaining?
- Doing my first stand-up gig – And I’m still doing it.
- Going to culinary school – I decided to NOT go to Mizzou and got to culinary school, made great friends, and learned some shit
- Dropping out of culinary school – I realized the friends I made were from restaurants I worked at, and the shit I learned was from restaurants as well
- Getting my first tattoo – It started a life long addiction, that also led to my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th tattoo
- Making real friends for the first time – The kind of friends that stick with you through thick and thin, and will come pick you up from jail at 3:30 in the morning
- Traveling – I’ve had a good decade of travel…buy me a beer sometime, I’ll tell you stories
- Moving out on my own – Moving away from my family, actually brought me closer to them than I have ever been.
Despite all the good things that happened to me during this decade, getting to where I am now wasn’t easy and there were many hurdles to get over: Addiction, depression, loss, fear, low self-esteem, and anger to name a few. I’m still working on it, but I wouldn’t have changed those moments because they made me who I am. That is why I am officially naming this decade that we just passed “The Decade Of No Regrets.”
Now that you know some of the moments that helped define me during this decade, here are some things I want to do to further define myself during the next decade. They aren’t resolutions, so much as goals.
- Finish my Bachelor’s Degree – It’s been a long time coming to where I am now with my education, and I am going to go all the way. It’s not for any other reason other than a sense of accomplishment, because a degree isn’t going to get me into the job I want.
- Lose weight – I put a lot of weight on in the last 5 years, for various reasons and it’s time to start getting it off. No quick fixes for me, I’m gonna take the hard road.
- Publish a book – I don’t care if its self-released, I just want to keep putting my words out there for the world to see
- Be more reliable – Not gonna lie folks, I haven’t always been the most reliable guy. I’ve been there in those moments when I am needed most, but I want to be there in those moments where I am not needed, simply wanted.
- Never EVER be afraid to show my true colors – I am who I am, I don’t give two craps whether you like me or not.
- Learn to stop worrying – I need to live in the moment more. I can’t always be looking ahead. (On a side note, I realize it’s ironic that this shows up on a list of goals for the next ten years)
- Fall in love – Maybe a little cheesy to some of you, but I want to find that person that keeps me on my toes and that I am always happy with.
- Keep making people laugh – I’ve always thought that humor makes the world better, and I like to help bring it to people. On a side note I want to start a charity comedy show.
So that’s the plan for the next 10 years. Keep moving forward folks, and I’ll see you on the other side in 2020.
Click here to check out Chris’ Tumblr!